Translate

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day July 2010

Pentas and Martinique cuphea vying for attention.

Gingers enjoying the abundant rainy season.

White gingers just flourishing in this area under the shade of the bearded fig tree

Bilbergias giving stiff competition to the nearby gingers.

Flamboyant or Royal Poinciana  lighting up the skies with a burst of flames.

Heliconia rostrata, Boston ferns and gloriosa lily make fine companions.


Night blooming cereus or epiphyllum oxypetalum filling the night air with its sensous perfume. The blooms only last a night and  to keep the bloom a longer time, just cut it while it is open (around midnight) and place it in the refrigerator in a plastic bag.


Hello and welcome to Garden Bloggers Bloom Day  where gardeners all around the globe show what is blooming in their gardens. My garden is awash with blooms and greenery. The rainy season has begun with frequent showers occurring during the day and night. It is hot and humid and my plants are loving it more than I am.

My Jamaican rain tree (brya ebenus)fell AGAIN and we discovered after digging around the roots that it was dying, so it was removed. Probably a victim of the great flood I had in April. I have several smaller ones in pots so all is not lost. To see what is blooming in other gardens around the globe please visit  Carol on Friday at May dreams gardens.  Happy gardening my friends!

10 comments:

  1. Wow, so many bright, lovely blooms. Ah coming this year for some cuttings of those pentas and cupheas!

    Yes, I just got my new travel schedule which will take me to BIM sometime in September.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They really do compete for attention, don't they. they are all so beautiful and vibrant. If I had to pick a favourite it would be the white ginger though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautifully interesting blooms!
    Happy GBBD :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. aloha,
    great colors, i love those poincianas...it looks striking in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tropical plants are just beautiful. Tropicals are marginal here.

    Thanks for mentioning on Andrea's blog about putting Epiphyllum blossoms in the refrigerator. Nobody ever sees mine and I could put them in a dark bag and take them to a neighbor the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The gingers and heliconiums are spectacular... I've always admired them and been envious of those who can grow them! Larry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Helen, your blooms are lovely! I am especially drawn towards your Epiphyllum oxypetalum. This is THE plant I have been searching for many years. It has a sentimental value to me. I only came to know its scientific name when I first saw it at BOM's post, then Andrea's. Now you have it too. With the info about the scientific name, I can now search at the nurseries. We believe that it is very auspicious whenever it blooms. Hence Good Luck and GOod Tidings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Helen,
    Everything looks so wonderful. I still am amazed you have so many torch gingers. I can only dream about them..too cold here in Houston.

    Have you ever taken a closeup shot of a gloriosa lily? That would be fabulous to share with the world. Such a fabulous flower.
    Happy GBBD.
    David/ Tropical Texana/ Houston :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Helen, i wonder why my bloglist doesn't update some posts, as yours was still old, then when i opened the dashboard you have a new one. I forgot to follow your comment on my Epiphyllum sooner. Your garden seems to be already forgetting the flood, they are already showing the usual bright colors. If only i can manage to maintain our whole area like yours, they i can also plant a lot of the plants in my 'wish-list'. At the moment our property is just left on its own, just cut the shrubs and let the trees grow, and whatever volunteers will survive. But because of the curiosity i got from the Epiphylum post, like AutumnBelle i will plant it now. The only plant in yours which i dont have is the gloriosa lily.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. Due to annoying spam no anonymous comments will be allowed.